Labels

Total Pageviews

Monday 20 October 2014

Japanese Myth





Thank you for voting in the poll so as I promised I have a Japanese myth for you but not only that I have also found a myth with a dragon!


Most Japanese myths are of a Buddhist tradition.  Japan is famous for its dragons and mythical beasts.



This is a picture of a famous Japanese dragon from Buddhist legend.
This dragon is called Zennyo Ryūō which translates to goodness-like dragon-king.
This dragon supposedly lived in a cave in the MT.Murō.  Zennyo Ryūō is believed to be the God of rain.  During the famous rainmaking contest of 824CE the priest  Kūkai made the dragon appear at the Kyoto Imperial Palace.


This is a very short story but I guess dragons are generally Chinese so maybe it was just there way of giving the rain a face.  I still think that it is cool that they believed that the dragon can be summoned to make it rain.


 Source of info/credit Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment